Free domains - what have you used them for?
I'm currently using one for a small community website, but I know a lot of people use free domains for testing code on sites or for personal matter. The "small community" is a revival of L4W2 and uses Hostinger. (Notably my google+ account is linked with UK, PH and NL hostinger because the order system was revamped on the UK one and I think it's a little clumsy)

Obviously I can't pay for a domain and something happened to 101gamers which I don't want to talk about Big Grin

This also applies to free subdomains like uk.to Smile

Anyway yeah lol, what do you use them for?

Some people will say they are evil and worthless but what's the point in wasting more bandwidth on your paid server if you can set up a free host/domain and test things there? Also same goes for pointing your computer somewhere too so that you can manage it elsewhere easier to do with a free domain.

Obviously for more serious sites and projects you need to use paid things lol.

I swear I made this before but was deleted or something lol
Jamie Dignam
KV32 Gamers - gaming blog/forum/wiki
I don't use free domains anymore. I just keep one short domain for personal usage. Whenever you would use a free domain, I simply use a subdomain for my existing domain.

Three letter domains in country codes are common enough so you can get one without breaking the bank.

As for hosting, I prefer to just keep a cheap VPS like the ones at OVH.com or Scaleway.com. You can host quite a lot on them, especially considering they only cost €3 per month.
Owner of InfinityFree (formerly Grendel Hosting) and XVHOST.
(08-10-2016, 12:52 PM)Hans Wrote: I don't use free domains anymore. I just keep one short domain for personal usage. Whenever you would use a free domain, I simply use a subdomain for my existing domain.

Three letter domains in country codes are common enough so you can get one without breaking the bank.

As for hosting, I prefer to just keep a cheap VPS like the ones at OVH.com or Scaleway.com. You can host quite a lot on them, especially considering they only cost €3 per month.

The scaleway  8 Dedicated x86 64bit Cores 32GB Memory 300GB SSD Disk 800Mbit/s Unmetered bandwidth is so tempting me  Big Grin

I used to use free domains from like co.cc etc but ever since i buy domains i havent used a free one for years, i used to own a .tk domain got really popular with users in my area then the domain name went vanish, 

anyways, how are you hans?
Dot TK / Freenom take away your traffic and redirect it to advertising sites if you get popular.

That's why it was taken away.
Jamie Dignam
(08-11-2016, 01:08 PM)Cammygirl192 Wrote: Dot TK / Freenom take away your traffic and redirect it to advertising sites if you get popular.

That's why it was taken away.

I have been staying away from Freenom since their ICANN accreditation was taken away. I am in the same boat with Hans. I create new sub domains on my personal domain if I need something quick. I am currently using a mixture of OVH and DigitalOcean and plan on moving all of my containers onto DigitalOcean as it is closer to my house.
I am going on a web hosting hiatus.
A friend of mine on my website might be making a new site using iFastNet or another host which is good. I asked him to see if he could host my site on the same account one day, too.

I've got quite a special online friendship with him: I've noticed he's usually rather stubborn, but seems to listen to me and trust me a lot, I gave him the idea for him to start a personal blog Smile

I'm getting a great impression of iFastNet - ByetHost has handled the site activity with no problems, I have just switched on PHP 7 mode and it is even faster! Big Grin

If a free service can be that good, surely the paid service is amazing. Are their servers located in the UK?
Jamie Dignam
They DataCenters are located in NewCastle, UK.
[Image: 5752507823.png]
Proud of my Lëtzebuerger ISP. (Luxembourg - Lëtzebuerg)
@neq3: Thanks. That also means that they're relatively close to me, because they are in the UK.

261 posts now, and it is still operating with no problem.
Jamie Dignam
Also I have took my rid off from free domains. I have banned them on my service to use. Only TLD gets approved and when someone will use a free domain the. Will it suspended with 12h Smile because to prevent abuse is better as to cleaning if it happends already. I dont know why i should use another domain if I been busy enough with one domain.
[Image: 5752507823.png]
Proud of my Lëtzebuerger ISP. (Luxembourg - Lëtzebuerg)
I've moved away from free domains now, am just using a subdomain of byethost (ho46.com mofh reseller), so that I don't get suspended or the domain withdrawn/whatever in other ways.

Considering we run a game modifications section too, they can misinterpret that as full-on hacking. In fact a lot of 'free' sites do.
Jamie Dignam