My Hosting Software - Your Thoughts and Demo Soon
Hello community, I have been dead for sometime digging into my programming. I have been working on this project since February of this year with researching the best software and routes to take. Development on this program started August 8th and I am wrapping up development and going into an beta stage. I got frustrated at the lack of a hosting panel that lacked support for using your server more than one way. At this current time my hosting software supports HTML, PHP5, PHP7 and NodeJS. I have written the entire project out of Python myself and is closed source. The backend currently works off of Docker and git, but I have plans to create support for Vagrant and QEMU. In the next few weeks I plan on creating a demo account for some much needed input, but for now screenshots will do!

[Image: jP3813O.png]

[Image: m5qeNkO.png]

[Image: BKneXSn.png]

Key Features:
  • Integrated Billing
  • Automatic Termination
  • Isolated User Environments
  • Result of much Coffee
  • Some more stuff but I can't think right now...
Don't count on the name Tugboat, it was just a code name for development and a name for my git repo. Anyways, let me know what think please! Smile
I am going on a web hosting hiatus.
(09-20-2016, 01:34 AM)Eqilux Wrote: Looks pretty impressive! Love the material design mostly!

I think tugboat is a good name.
I would love to keep that name but the namespace "tugboat" is already taken on the Docker Image Hub. I'll take into consideration of leaving it. Smile
is this not reinventing the wheel

https://www.cloudlinux.com/all-products/.../kuberdock <---- Closed source
https://www.openshift.org/ <--- open source

Both are tested, secure and stable.
(09-20-2016, 03:41 AM)WebHost Wrote: is this not reinventing the wheel

https://www.cloudlinux.com/all-products/.../kuberdock  <---- Closed source
https://www.openshift.org/ <--- open source
I actually started using OpenShift back in July and wanted to make a similar product aimed at being similar to the way DigitalOcean runs. DigitalOcean has a very welcomed feeling and I got lost when I first walked into OpenShift.
It looks pretty impressive, however I have one concern: how safe is Docker when it comes to isolating different customers? OpenShift seems to be aimed at companies who run many different apps they've created themselves and Kuberdock is backed by CloudLinux, who of course have their own customer isolation system.
Owner of InfinityFree (formerly Grendel Hosting) and XVHOST.
(09-20-2016, 03:50 PM)Hans Wrote: It looks pretty impressive, however I have one concern: how safe is Docker when it comes to isolating different customers? OpenShift seems to be aimed at companies who run many different apps they've created themselves and Kuberdock is backed by CloudLinux, who of course have their own customer isolation system.

I faced a major setback with that. I built my software to be reusable as a hosting platform for clients and something for me to use internally for my apps. I have my containers for the hosting version running with non root privileges and the host machines running SeLinux to monitor the system. The user has access to the service manager, home directory, and the module manager for the language of use (npm, pip, etc..). As far as I can tell this is the best practice of preventing breakouts.

I have the Docker images for the hosting lcontainers on Docker Hub under the namespace crate64 if you wish to take a look.
Wait, how can you run containers without root privileges if you're dealing with potentially untrusted containers? Or do you have a set of custom, whitelisted containers customers can choose from and you don't allow them to run their own containers?
Owner of InfinityFree (formerly Grendel Hosting) and XVHOST.
This is pretty interesting! Is it going to be offered for sale to hosting companies in the future, or will you start one up and have Tugboat as a completely unique idea for your own?
(09-23-2016, 10:38 AM)Hans Wrote: Wait, how can you run containers without root privileges if you're dealing with potentially untrusted containers? Or do you have a set of custom, whitelisted containers customers can choose from and you don't allow them to run their own containers?

For default users (non admin) I have a set of pre-built images without root privileges that they can use. When the user orders a container, the platform clones the image and spins up a container based off the image. This narrows down to WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, ModX, and such all running their own web server (nginx + php7.0-fpm) per container. For elevated users (admin and trusted), I have images that are just installed with a base language and you supply a git repo for the container to clone.

I originally wanted to allow users to host their own but I faced a very large issue since I cannot allow root privileges. A break out at my scale would be devastating. I am a team of one right now so I am limited to what I can do and dedicate my time to.

(09-24-2016, 01:00 PM)Kaiser Wrote: This is pretty interesting! Is it going to be offered for sale to hosting companies in the future, or will you start one up and have Tugboat as a completely unique idea for your own?

I started developing it just for me and my group to use but I am considering selling licenses for it. If I do license it, I will have some issues as its developed in Python and Python does not run in a compiled form.
(09-26-2016, 08:10 PM)domkalan Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 10:38 AM)Hans Wrote: Wait, how can you run containers without root privileges if you're dealing with potentially untrusted containers? Or do you have a set of custom, whitelisted containers customers can choose from and you don't allow them to run their own containers?

For default users (non admin) I have a set of pre-built images without root privileges that they can use. When the user orders a container, the platform clones the image and spins up a container based off the image. This narrows down to WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, ModX, and such all running their own web server (nginx + php7.0-fpm) per container. For elevated users (admin and trusted), I have images that are just installed with a base language and you supply a git repo for the container to clone.

I originally wanted to allow users to host their own but I faced a very large issue since I cannot allow root privileges. A break out at my scale would be devastating. I am a team of one right now so I am limited to what I can do and dedicate my time to.

(09-24-2016, 01:00 PM)Kaiser Wrote: This is pretty interesting! Is it going to be offered for sale to hosting companies in the future, or will you start one up and have Tugboat as a completely unique idea for your own?

I started developing it just for me and my group to use but I am considering selling licenses for it. If I do license it, I will have some issues as its developed in Python and Python does not run in a compiled form.

Ah, thanks for the head's up!