Hosters.cc Pub
This is a general discussion topic.

You can use it for any general talk and civil discussion about anything, unless you are spamming. It serves as a way we can just chat about things that don't really require a thread or something like that.

If you do spam, you can guess what will happen. Smile

------
So what do we all think of hosters.cc in general? I'm rating it 9/10, a couple of things can be improved but the community aspect is already there and these discussions are good. Of course it's very early so there are few things to be done to it. Wink
Jamie Dignam
KV32 Gamers - gaming blog/forum/wiki
It's a discussion forum? I thought this was a pub! I wanted to order a pint lol. But on a serious side, where are the users from the beginning of Hosters.cc? It seems this forum is somewhat dormant now. I wish it had a big boost in activity from users like before.
Rose actually called the general chat thread on my site a pub too Smile

IDK. They probably had to go on and do other things, but I'm glad I made the original thread about moving communities (I appreciated the close and friendly community here so much and thought we needed our own place because obv. A dead businesses forum isn't the right place) to even get this place started.

The tension of the update in 2015, signups, server 15 being down for 7 weeks on YH... it was just so good for this user base and there's a link. I know a good community when I see one and that is what started this board. Smile

Same here too I wish so about the activity.
Jamie Dignam
Bump and double post, but I got Windows Vista SP2 to update now. Windows Defender also updates itself properly now too.

It's been stuck for months - I have the x64 files if you need them hosted at desu.sh, a "kawaii file hosting service" - that put a smile to my face btw especially with the picture they feature.

Might install Security Essentials or another AV, any recommendations?
Jamie Dignam
Malwarebytes?
(09-02-2016, 08:14 AM)Kaiser Wrote: Malwarebytes?

Could do but you have to pay for real-time scanning.
Jamie Dignam
The best anti virus is common sense. Windows Defender is pretty good because of it's low resource usage and the fact that it's both free and doesn't continuously bug you asking you to pay for it. Whenever you get a virus (or think you've got one), running a scan with Malwarebytes is the best way to find and remove it.

A lot of well known anti virus software tends to be more harmful than actual malware (slows down your computer, send your data to their servers, breaks your software) so if you're not a completely brain dead technophobe you don't need to install additional anti virus software.
Owner of InfinityFree (formerly Grendel Hosting) and XVHOST.
I don't have anti-virus installed on my Windows machines. I have been recommending Qihoo 360 as it has no advertisements or messages for buying premium.
I am going on a web hosting hiatus.
@domkalan They're a Chinese-sounding company so I'd say it could be malware itself (spying on users might be a concern of mine), but I'll check it out.

@Hans You mentioned Windows Defender AKA Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows Vista, does it still get updates for its definitions after Vista support has ended?
Jamie Dignam
(09-06-2016, 04:09 AM)EternalJamie Wrote: @Hans You mentioned Windows Defender AKA Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows Vista, does it still get updates for its definitions after Vista support has ended?

In terms of security, you should simply never, ever, ever use outdated software. If you care even a little bit about security, you know that using end-of-life software is a huge no-go.

If you're still running Windows Vista, you should try to upgrade to Windows 10 as that's the best way to keep your computer updated. And if that's too expensive or your computer isn't fast enough, you could switch to Linux instead. By using something like Linux Mint or Xubuntu, you've got a modern and secure system which is way faster too!
Owner of InfinityFree (formerly Grendel Hosting) and XVHOST.